2009-02-01

Nokia Locate Sensor

From idea:
Received: by 10.141.28.2 with HTTP; Mon, 22 Oct 2007 05:25:31 -0700 (PDT)
Message-ID: <89dc7c5b0710220525p4e33dd50i6cb85d85cc1b0903@mail.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 15:25:31 +0300
From: Vsevolod
To: info@janchipchase.com
Subject: idea to help not forget phones
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="----=_Part_8479_1626797.1193055931431"
Delivered-To: vseloved@gmail.com

------=_Part_8479_1626797.1193055931431
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

Hello Jan,

My name is Vsevolod Dyomkin. I wanted to share a design idea related to
mobile phones with you, as an only person I can presently reach, who can
possibly facilitate its implementation.

Today I have seen your presentation at TED.com concerning the uses of mobile
phones. What interested me in it is the mention of places, which serve as
gravity centers for important carried items. In my opinion, the existence of
such places, in spite of the natural need for them, brings about one big
potential inconvenience…

Take my example, I work inside a big building and at my workplace the level
of mobile signal is very poor, so I'm forced to leave my phone in the other
part of the room where the connectivity is better. This sometimes leads to
unpleasant situations when I forget the phone, leaving the room and
building. Other example can be, when a person comes to a party and leaves
her phone in some place not to be distracted by it. Afterwards he'll pretty
probably forget about it. This may not only be the case with phones, but
also with other carried items as well.

To prevent such situations I've come up with the following idea: to have a
small device which informs you (like beeps), when you part, for example, 10
meters from the item. It will consist of two parts — a number of RFID tags
(in a form-factor of small round colored stickers), which can be sticked to
a mobile phone, a key, an id card etc. and a receiver/speaker, which can be
a charm on a keyring or a bangle, which beeps. The receiver can optionally
show the color of a sticker, which caused an alarm.

To me this is an example of delegation of mundane/error-prone tasks to
technology :-) — in this case the delegation of the necessity to flap one's
pockets...

If you find it interesting, fell free to contact me
Best regards
Vsevolod

...to implementation

No comments: